- The first step towards leading a slimmer, healthier life is to identify if you fall under the classification of needing weight loss surgery.
- People who are morbidly obese i.e have BMI more than 37 kg/m2 or people with BMI more than 32 kg/m2 with associated diseases like diabetes, hypertension, etc. are candidates for bariatric surgery.
Candidates for bariatric surgery
If the Answers to all of the questions are yes, then you qualify for bariatric surgery and can expect to significantly benefit from the procedure.
- Are you morbidly obese (BMI>37 kg/m2) or obese (>32 kg/m2) with significant obesity associated diseases like diabetes, heart disease, osteoarthritis, etc ?
- Have you tried conventional weight loss methods like diet and exercise or other alternative methods and not able to maintain your weight ?
- Is your weight static/constantly increasing ?
- Is your age between 18 years and 65 years ?
- Do you understand the details of the surgical procedure proposed for you ?
- Are you committed to lifelong changes in diet and lifestyle which are mandatory after bariatric surgery ?
- If you suffering from stress/depression, has it been treated by a psychologist/psychiatrist ?
- Do you have realistic expectations from your bariatric surgery and committed to long term follow up?